Almond Valley MSP Angela Constance has welcomed a new rail card that will allow Scottish veterans to claim a 34% discount on travel.
The veterans rail card being introduced for purchase from today, initially priced at £21 per year, allows holders to travel across the country at reduced fares.
To encourage uptake, the Scottish Government is also funding a further discount scheme whereby anyone resident in Scotland registering between now and 31 March 2021 will be eligible for a £6 rail voucher making the initial cost just £15.
Commenting, Ms Constance said:
“Veterans are an asset to our communities here in Almond Valley and deserve the best possible care and support.
“It is important that we recognise the contribution veterans have made in Scotland and this new railcard will help open up opportunities for those who have served in our armed forces – strengthening employment opportunities and travel links with family and friends.
“The further discount scheme is part of the Scottish Government’s ambition to make Scotland the destination of choice for Service leavers and their families.”
- Veterans Railcards can be obtained by applying through the RDG website, telesales or via postal application.
- Scottish veterans’ name and address will be shared with ScotRail (Abellio Shared Service Centre) to issue a £6 National Rail Travel Voucher
- The Veterans Railcard will be available as a 1-year product for £21 until 31 March 2021 (after this date it retails at £30),
- A 3-year product is also available for £61 until 31 March 2021 (after this date it retails at £70).
- The card will offer 34% discount on Standard and First Class Anytime, Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak and Advance fares, with a Minimum fare of £12 applying Monday – Friday between 04:30 and 09:59, excluding public holidays and July and August.
- The cardholder can specify a named companion at time of purchase who will also receive 34% discount, but only when travelling with the cardholder.
- Up to 4 children aged 5-15 can also travel at 60% discount, but only when travelling with the cardholder.
Unit 4, Ochil House, Beveridge Square, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 6QF